Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Lyle Lovett - Lyle Lovett

Lyle Lovett - Lyle Lovett



#295/1420
July 14 1986
Lyle Lovett
Lyle Lovett
Genre: Country
4.25 out of 5 


Highlights:
Why I Don’t Know
An Acceptable Level of Ecstasy
Closing Time



Around 2000 I had been playing with my 4 track and brought it to a friend’s house to record his visiting roommate. A simple and lovely 1-4-5 er with a lead solo over the instrumental verse coming out of the chorus. 
I put some distortion on it and gave it just a wee bit of an edge. He flat out rejected that as he wanted a more “Hank Williams” sound. Not Jr., which is what I would have easily entertained and attempted. It was delicate and lovely and I just couldn’t connect to that. My body operates at a different vibration. 
So, while I can listen to this record and say, “Yeah, that’s nice. That’s a-ok.” I can’t latch on to anything because even at 8 in the morning on a Saturday I need something that is at least trying to kick me in the nuts somehow. 
It’s a really pretty record, though. 


No comments: