Friday, January 17, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Van Morrison - No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

Van Morrison - No Guru, No Method, No Teacher



#310/1990
July 1986
Van Morrison
No Guru, No Method, No Teacher
Genre: Soft…rock?
2.5 out of 5



Highlights:
In the Garden

When do we get to take Van off this list? 


If you are new here you will come to learn that I talk about my youth a bit. Mostly about summers I spent in Bar Harbor, Maine. Truly the most indelible and excellent part of my young existence. It’s there that I learned about love, requited and unrequited (on my and her part, truly). I made life long friends, although I haven’t been there for over 30 years. I might never go back, since I don’t want to spoil the memories. 
It’s there my father died suddenly, away from all of us. It’s a memoir in the wings. 
I spent spare time sweeping up the local movie theater, for which I was compensated in movie passes. 
The rest of my time was spent working in the store my parents managed. 
I used to say they “had a store there” because I was embarrassed that my father was just the manager of a tchotchke store and a T-Shirt place. But that job put me through college (sorry for wasting your money, dad). And it taught me about retail and people. Tools I have used my entire life. 

In any store I would try as hard as I could to get music played that interested me. Queen II was on the turntable when I worked there, putting decals on plain T’s. The Clash. X. But that usually chased customers away and we were forced to play local radio which, in the early 80s was all soft rock and gentle, inoffensive pap. 

That’s this record. You could easily make purchase decisions with this thing on in the background and not get too distracted.


No comments: