Monday, January 27, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Status Quo - In the Army Now

Status Quo - In the Army Now



#339/2019 LISTENING POST ADMIN DISCOVERY
August 29 1986
Status Quo
In the Army Now
Genre: Glam Rock/Power Pop
4.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Rollin’ Home
In Your Eyes
In the Army Now
Dreamin’
Red Sky

REQUISITE 80S COVER:
Ian Hunter’s “Speechless”. A dynamite piece of Glam Rock. 


When this record fired up I was, first, struck by how much the opener sounds like Dave Edmunds. Until I read that it was written by John David, a frequent collaborator of Edmunds’. And Edmunds produced that track as well as the other David penned track, “Red Sky”.  So, that makes a lot of sense.
Then it hit me that I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Status Quo record. It’s like they don’t exist anywhere. Nobody writes about them. They don’t get any love. But…they are beloved. I know this because I kept hearing their name mentioned in conjunction with Queen. 
But they don’t sound like Queen. 
Except that they do! When Queen is at its most cheeky (Think: “Good Company”) they could be bill-mates with these guys.
AND they kind of remind me of The Bay City Rollers and I have a great deal of affection for those Scottish kids as well. And, of course, early Sparks.
How did these guys escape me? 
No idea. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3GSAG-HOw&list=PLBJ7ztNazTVB7ksm8D_mnP71tByNBLZ2D

No comments: