Monday, December 20, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Love is a Sacrifice

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Love is a Sacrifice 



1980 Housekeeping

Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes

Love Is a Sacrifice

Genre: Jersey Shore Rock

3.25 out of 5





Highlights:

Why

Restless Heart



As a huge Springsteen fan and someone who appreciates his peers and acolytes, I don’t know why I never drilled further into Johnny’s catalog. I really liked Hearts of Stone and Havin’ a Party was perfectly fine. And yet...There could be only one in this genre, I guess. 


Does “Why” sound a bit like “Talk to Me”?. Yes. But tell me that Bruce didn’t write in the same idiom over and over and over and over again. 


I always wished that Bruce did more for artists in his wheelhouse. Iron City Houserockers? Johnny? Gaslight Anthem? They would have all benefitted from being the opening act on a Bruce Springsteen tour. Or even just a leg. But he plays 3.5 hour shows and that would be as long as the second half of a day long festival. I get it. 

And he’s a company man. He’s beholden to CBS and he doesn’t have an interest in being a label. Although I think an “endorse by the Boss” imprint might have helped these guys. He did it for Gary U.S. Bonds when he wrote some of and produced Dedication. 


We’re missing two tracks and another is live, so, yeah, you know the drill. Points off…


https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlvn8uktX5LsXppq0UrjnTI8D00kE_aNx



No comments: