Monday, December 20, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Oak - Set the Night On Fire

Oak - Set the Night on Fire 



1980 Housekeeping

Oak

Set the Night on Fire

Genre: AOR

3.25 out of 5




Another in a long series of Foreigner or Styx or Kansas or Southern Rock dwellers. The Venn diagram on those bands are more circular than I might have believed as a young’ un.



Oak had been around since the 60s with no one giving a crap about them. This is their last try.


I imagine that these songs played well in local pubs, but, so did my band’s. This is a very late 70s sound that is about to be left in the dust by…everything.


There’s nothing to hate here. “Your Love” is fine. So is “Melissa”. And a couple other tracks. But I wouldn’t wanna add them to a playlist or anything. But I liked what Rick Pinette brought to this party. 


Researching:

I spent my summers in Bar Harbor on Mount Desert Island growing up. My brother revisits frequently. I’ve not been back since my dad died there. I really do wanna go, though.


We have members of this group that live there. 


One of them I KNOW went to MDI High.


And this band, gulp, played the prom in 1981! At MDI High. I know because I read about them during my research on the “Growing Up in Bar Harbor” Facebook Group. 


Lori? I KNOW you saw them. Was this…your prom????



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKKhdNQSNo

No comments: