Monday, December 20, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Hollander - Side Kicks

 Hollander - Side Kicks



1980 Housekeeping

Hollander

Side Kicks

Genre: Chukka-Chukka Rock

2.5 out of 5




Sometimes all I can think of when I hear a record like this is that it sounds like it was made by people for whom English is a second language. This one feels like that and also that rock is something they heard and tried to emulate. That doesn’t mean it’s terrible. It just means it’s “rock-by-numbers”. Songs about girls and rock and roll and chord changes. And that’s the best I can say: The chords change, the drums keep time, the singer “sings” and it all comes across like 4th rate Van Halen or, on a good day, 3rd rate The Tubes.


“Sherwood Hotel” not only sounds like theme to St. Elsewhere but contains lyrics like, “All I wanted was for you to go down on me.” Umm…what?


Note to self: No one needs a 6.5 minute ballad in the middle of the second side of the album. That note really should have been for the rest of the band to tell me. Cuz…really…that is just excessive. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTKQfp_xqyQ&list=PLlvn8uktX5LvnLMouTCJCt5mRXFhlxX_D&index=2


No comments: