Monday, December 20, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Pete Stride & John Plain - New Guitars in Town

 Pete Stride & John Plain - New Guitars in Town



1980 Housekeeping

Pete Stride & John Plain

New Guitars in Town

Genre: Rock

3.75 out of 5



Highlights:

Restless Kind






Ex-Lurker and Ex-The Boys members get together and make a record. 

You all know how I feel about opening with a cover but I allow this because they give heft and crunch to Sonny Bono’s “Laugh at Me” and, besides, anyone who covers a Bono song that ISN’T “I Got You, Babe”, is okay in my book. 

The other nugget of a cover is “He’ll Have to Go”, a 50s tune by husband and wife team of Joe and Audrey Allsion. And, you know what? It’s a bop. 

As well as the Arthur Alexander (the other one) song, “You Better Move On”, which is great. 





This follows in the Ramones vein of garage rock with an elevated swagger. Reminds me of Stiv Bators in that regard. 




Missing one track: 

No comments: