Friday, December 17, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Nick Gilder - Rock of America

Nick Gilder - Rock of America 



1980 Housekeeping

Nick Gilder

Rock America

Genre: Rock

3.75 out of 5



Highlights:

Catch 22



Nick was born in England but moved to Vancouver and that’s where he lives today. And, you know what? There is a high percentage that he is aware of who I am and I am wondering how I can convert that into a meeting. 

I don’t know what I would talk to him about. Certainly not this record. I mean, there’s nothin wrong with it, it’s just the songs are all New Wave faithful, sure, but they aren’t hookalicious or memorable in that “Hot Child” way.

Is it fair to compare someone to their high points? I wasn’t really a Sweeney Todd fan (the band, I LURV the musical), so I don’t think its fair to me to compare him to anything but that ubiquitous single.

I’m really hedging here, aren’t I? I know he and I have mutual friends. Argh.


I liked the faux-reggae cum giant Power Rock sound of “Catch 22”. I’ll happily add that to any playlist. And, take a listen to “Lady You’re a Killer”…that’s endemic of the whole record. Nick is really channeling Ric Ocasek on this one. He just doesn’t have the big, hooky chorus here. 






https://open.spotify.com/album/2Hzyc4osezk4ZYv0KaJeOS?si=vdHdoDkzSKi2HNM4d58Y5Q&dl_branch=1

No comments: