Friday, December 17, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - 3-D - 3-D

 3-D - 3-D


1980 Housekeeping

3-D

3-D

Genre: Power Pop

3.25 out of 5



Highlights:

Telephone Number


What a year. 

If you had a knack for skinny tie bands (see what I did there?) 1980 was there for you. 

Here’s another. From jump it sounds like 1978 era Elvis Costello. And everything about “Telephone Number” shouts, “Hey, guys! I think we got a handle on this sound. Like, this sounds JUST like Elvis without sounding JUST like Elvis. We’re gonna be HUGE!”.

“Hang on a minute! I got a tune, too!”, says Kiev Ginsberg, the drummer. “It’s JUST like The Cars!!!”

“Buckle up, guys! We’re gonna be stars!!!”


This record is a soundalike for those bands and The Jam and Joe Jackson and just about every late 70s angular rock record of the day. And it fits in nicely.


It’s not for lack of trying. In know, I KNOW, that I saw this band. On TV. Because I loved Saturday Night Live and I LURVED Steve Martin and they were the band on a night he hosted in 1980. 


In fact, they were on the penultimate episode before the original cast left. And, watching their performance…boy did they choose the wrong tune. You know what sucked for them? I don’t think they got a second track cuz that was the night we were forced to watch Paul McCartney debut a video of “Coming Up” which was terrible. 


3-D deserved better. 


https://open.spotify.com/album/3X66WsGWvsOGIr0fK1NHZx?si=3ULqL-LoRYqmmUDxNlGEkg



Their live performance is here: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/may-17-steve-martin/4023024

No comments: