Thursday, December 16, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Gears - Rockin' at Ground Zero

 The Gears - Rockin' at Ground Zero



1980 Housekeeping

The Gears

Rockin’ at Ground Zero

Genre: Solid Garage Punk 

3.5 out of 5




Highlights:

Baby Runaround

Let’s Go to the Beach

I Smoke Dope



How much to I love it that the guitarist here is Kidd Spike and the lead singer is Axxel G. Reese? The drummer is Dave Drive, ffs. 

 I mean, come on, that’s so punk garage new wave it sort of declares: this record is gonna be in your face. And it really better deliver. 



And it kind of does. 


That loony amalgam sound of the early 80s that brought us Blotto and Dead Kennedys, two of the most hilarious offerings from the era, are what The Gears seem to be reaching for.


This is a band that has songs like “Don’t Be Afraid to Pogo”. I was afraid of pogoing. Especially because the only kid I ever saw doing it was the younger brother of a jackass from high school who started bouncing at a basement party when B-52s debut album was fired up. He was tall and lanky and fucking terrifying. 


If I pogo’d I doubt I would get any real height. 




https://music.apple.com/us/album/rockin-at-ground-zero/1526168374

No comments: