Friday, December 17, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Planets - Spot

 The Planets - Spot


1980 Housekeeping

The Planets

Spot

Genre: New Wave

4 out of 5



Highlights:

I Can’t Stop

I Wanna Touch You

Earth




They don’t sound like The Police but they are so obviously influenced by them. There’s the requisite amount of New Wave Faux-reggae on this thing that it’s impossible to believe that they didn’t form because of a mutual adoration for Outlandos d’Amour. “I Wanna Touch You” is so close to “Next to You” that it’s impossible to separate them. But they take it in a more ska direction and that’s enough for me to say, I shall add that to my playlist.
But they don’t just double down on the Caribbean sound. They triple down. And they pour some Elvis Costello into the music on “Don’t Look Down”.

Now, if all those bands didn’t exist prior this album could be thought of as a New Wave classic. Instead it’s a record that nobody knows about.

I mean, really. Nobody. The website that listed it where we found it has it as a completely different album by the same guys. And THAT album is actually their previous 1979 debut. 

Oh, man. There’s so much music out there.


Here’s the thing. I enjoyed this album more than the point system allowed. So, it’s a 3.75 record but I bumped it for my own personal pleasure. If you would like your subscription refunded I will prorate up to this point.


https://music.apple.com/us/album/spot/1444898814

No comments: