Monday, December 20, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Lord John Baldry - Lord John Baldry

 Lord John Baldry - Lord John Baldry



1980 Housekeeping

Long John Baldry

Long John Baldry

Genre: Blues Pub

2.75 out of 5




I got really wasted one night and wrote down the following line: I was drinking some water with Dracula’s daughter. It is not a great line. Maybe someone else suggested it. I don’t recall. I just remember thinking….this is not good. 


“Standing on the corner, smoking mari-ju-wana” is worse. 


And that’s how this thing opens.



We really need 1980 to end. 


I don’t know who John Baldry is. He seems like he wants to be Willy DeVille. 

This is evidenced by his covers of Willy’s tunes. 

Seems he made his bones on the blues. What I notice is that he sings about other people, mostly female, and how they make him feel. Ok. That’s kind of what I expect from this genre. I just wish he brought more to it. 


The Mojo Nixon/Leon Redbone hybrid of “Love Me Two Times” was…something I never want to hear again.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpE7sQkOeAo

No comments: