Monday, December 30, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Sisterhood - Gift

The Sisterhood - Gift



#239/1364
June 11 1986
The Sisterhood
Gift
Genre: Electronica
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Jihad
Finland Red, Egypt White

From the ashes of Sisters of Mercy (and apparently as a legal ploy to prevent name usage?) comes this platter which is EXACTLY the kind of music I would have expected to her wannabe DJs “spin” at a house party off La Brea to a bunch of 30 somethings who had just discovered Ecstasy and were numbingly grooving with mouthfuls of lollipops. 
“I’m spinning at Gregg’s on Saturday night.” is the douchiest thing I’ve ever heard for “playing records”, but it was a thing and I was there and I’m super glad that era is over. 
As it descends into it’s more recognizable gothiness it loses some of it’s timelessness but that doesn’t diminish it to me.
This is terrific. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-fyNAh5Uso&list=PLBJ7ztNazTVBXmboluinqxK9898iWcIsV

No comments: