Friday, December 20, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Criminal Tango

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Criminal Tango



#223/1368
June 13 1986
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band
Criminal Tango
Genre: This could easily be Loverboy
3.75 out of 5



It worked for “Blinded by the Light” so Mann tries it again, opening this album with a big 80s synth for the stadium cover of The Jam’s “Going Underground”. And here’s the thing. I really liked what I was hearing but I didn’t recognize it until “And the public gets what the public wants” and then I keyed in and had to do a double take. I didn’t hate it, to be sure, it’s just freaking weird. 
Mann is trying, you can hear it. The world is changing around them but there’s a lane for this. It’s not terrible by a long shot but it feels like it’s getting stale. Although I really liked the cover of “Bulldog” cuz it’s equally weird, man. 



No comments: