Friday, December 20, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Queen - A Kind of Magic

Queen - A Kind of Magic



#214/1359
June 2 1986
Queen
A Kind of Magic
Genre: Rock/Soundtrack to Highlander
3.25 out of 5


Highlights:
One Vision - Movie title track. Fist pumper that ends with “Fried Chicken” after invoking Martin Luther King and I don’t know what the fuck Freddie is trying to say. If anything.
A Kind of Magic  - a catchy ditty and not something I run from when it comes on. It just has no direction. Fades away. As Queen seemed to be trying to do.
Who Wants to Live Forever - It kills me that, even though this thing has been covered a bajillion times, no one ever mentions that it’s a suicide dive call by the Hawkman Prince Vultan in Flash Gordon. Way to take your inspiration, Bri. 
Princes of the Universe - Someone sobered Freddie up enough to contribute the most “Queen” track on the record. 


Midlights:
One Year of Love - The first track that sounds like it was written for the movie and also proves that John Deacon can really only write about being in love with his wife. 


Lowlights:
Pain is So Close to Pleasure  - See cliche axiom/write song. You’d be surprised at how often Queen does this. And it’s annoying once you recognize it. 
Friends Will Be Friends - See above. 
Gimme the Prize  - Nobody, not even the rain, likes this song. - e.e. cummings. 
Don’t Lose Your Head - See above and above that and also above that. 


I have searched for a personal anecdote about this record outside of remembering that I bought it at Tower Records uptown and schlepped that Yellow bag back to the Path train on my way to hoboken to go home for the summer. 
That’s it. That’s my memory of this.
I’m a huge Queen apologist. But even I have trouble with this one. So I will just review it in the Highlights.


No comments: