Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Green - Green

Green - Green



#166/1331 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
Green
Green
Genre: Power Pop
5 out of 5




Highlights:
Gotta Getta Record Out
She’s Not a Little Girl
Technology
Curry Your Favor
Baby Why
I Play the Records
Better Way
I Don’t Wanna Say No
Hurt You
……………Fuck it. There isn’t a bad cut on this thing. Wow. 

Wha…?
Talk about a band out of time…a sound out of time…They might be able to play in the jangle pop arena but Lescher’s voice is too raspy to be anything except rock. And the melodies are angular and snappy and…I could go on but I’m truly gobsmacked. I’ve never even heard of this band until today and, had I, I would be all over this shit. There is Big Star all over this as well as great songsmithing ala Ray Davies. 
Side One is brilliant. I haven’t had a reaction to an album like this since…I think…Dramarama…
Let’s see what’s going on on Side Two. More excellent Power Pop that is indefinable and yet, reminds me of the things I loved about The Knack. Lescher is unique (Listen to his vocals on “I Don’t Wanna Say No”) as a singer and a writer. 
I feel the same way about this as I did when I heard Crazy Rhythms by The Feelies for the first time.

A shockingly unheralded record.


No comments: