Friday, December 20, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Matthew Sweet - Inside

Matthew Sweet - Inside



#209/1354
1986 Housekeeping
Matthew Sweet
Inside
Genre: Power Pop
2 out of 5


Highlights:
Blue Fools 



Confession time. 
I have almost zero knowledge of Matthew Sweet. 
I mean, sure I know his name and I think I know “Girlfriend” but, other than that, he’s just this guy who i know I’m supposed to know but I just don’t. Chalk it up to the holes in my 90s knowledge. 
So, I don’t know how he happened. 
This album comes out on Sony and he seems to be a player so he must have been impressing the shit out of people in the club circuit. 
Trouble is this album is so over produced that he doesn’t seem to have a sound or personality of his own. 
And this is a damned shame because I hear all my favorite 00s power poppers on this thing. The Andersons. Jellyfish. Chewy Marble. Martin Luther Lennon. They all must have been inspired in some way by Matthew. 
Save the 90210 production, this has a tonnage of potentially great tunes. “Half Asleep” and “This Above All” are prime examples of this. They just aren’t there yet. 





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VYbRqAu-U&list=PL7_IIKq9aeZ8xT6x4DKJ-xDAbg9r9uxfC

No comments: