Monday, December 30, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Bonfire - Don't Touch the Light

Bonfire - Don't Touch the Light



#257/1382
June 1986
Bonfire
Don’t Touch the Light
Genre: 80s Metal
2.5 out of 5



As I listen to Bonfire’s (formerly Cacumen) debut album I find myself wondering: Why didn’t my band try to write at least one song in this metal idiom. I say this because we dabbled in punk, epic rock, 80s style ballad, rockabilly…but we didn’t really give this one its due. Maybe on “Pyrite” but I don’t think we were really trying. 
Why am I saying this? Because, from the sheer number of generic 80s rhythmic, chukka-chukka metal bands it must’ve been an easy genre to write and play. And, when it’s good, it’s fun.
This is not good. Nor is it bad. It’s so Scorpionish average (Or 80s Queen) that I think, “Damn, I could have written at least one stupid metal tune like this. 

Bonfire is still recording and playing, guys. Someone save Germany from this. 






No comments: