Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Europe - The Final Countdown

Europe - The Final Countdown



#184/1349
May 26 1986
Europe
The Final Countdown 
Genre: Rock
4.25 out of 5




Highlights: 
The Final Countdown
Rock the Night
On the Loose



In the early days of Pandora I heard a song that I just loved. Well, a bunch, actually. Including “Circling Round the Sun” by The Orange Peels and a host of others. But, one day, there was this metal track called “Secret Society” that made me jump up and check to see what was playing. 
It was Europe. 
In 2006.
Whaaaaat?

The title track here has become a punchline, punctuating magic tricks by GOB Bluth. But, you know what? It’s like if Def Leppard scored The Never-ending Story. And the next track is better. 
In fact, this whole record is a perfect piece of 80s ScorpionsLeppard rock. 
It pummels when it needs to, it’s epic when it wants to and it actually surprises. 
After so many shitty Europe records I can’t believe I found one I actually like. 


No comments: