Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Nits - Henk

The Nits - Henk



#180/1345 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
May 20 1986
The Nits
Henk
4.5 out of 5



Highlights:
Port of Amsterdam
Erom On
Cabins





Years ago, when it was still around, I went to Tower Records. This was in it’s waning days but I hadn’t been in a while and I used to live 100 feet from it. There was a twinge of nostalgia but that passed quickly because, let’s face it, Tower’s layout was garish and annoying. 
BUT! The clerks knew their shit. As they are supposed to in a record store. Or in a book store. Or in a video store. Or….And, after a brief convo I left with a bunch of CDs and one of them was by Futureheads. 
An album that sounded nothing like the Adam Ant I was sold as but was sufficiently New Wave revival. 

This is reminding me of that. I didn’t like the Nits last one. And then their leader left and this weird thing was created in that wake. And I find it playful and joyous and all over the map. Unlike anything I was expecting to hear in 1986, it’s the quirkiness of Wall of Voodoo, the experimentation of Legendary Pink Dots, The synthy goofballitry of early 80s Yes and more fun than them and everything in between. 


No comments: