Friday, December 20, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Erasure - Wonderland

Erasure - Wonderland



#215/1360
June 2 1986
Erasure
Wonderland
Genre: SynthPop
4.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Who Needs Love Like That?
Reunion
Love is a Loser
Oh L’Amour



We keep calling this “SynthPop”. It’s disco, right? 

Anyway. When I learned that Erasure’s massive The Innocents was my girlfriend’s favorite record I went to Amoeba records and bought her the entire Erasure catalog on vinyl. Yes, I was wooing. But it was also not very expensive woo, to be sure. This was the early 00s and Vinyl hadn’t made a comeback yet. But we had a turntable that she had bought for me for my birthday and I returned the favor with all of these records. 
Of course I was never gonna listen to this, right? 
Um…sure…
Well, I never did get to Wonderland. But, The Innocents? Hell yeah. That shit was the bomb-shizzle. (It was the aughts, man)

This is Yazoo part two. Like, In the Next Room Over But Still Upstairs at Eric’s. 

Man, Andy Bell sounds like Allison Moyet. No?

Better than most of their peers, assured and eminently listenable, lo these 33 years later. 


No comments: