Monday, December 30, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Nails - Dangerous Dreams

The Nails - Dangerous Dreams



#254/1379
June 1986
The Nails
Dangerous Dreams
Genre: New Wave
3.75 Out of 5


Highlights:
Dig Myself a Hole
The First Time




I don’t know why but I’m reminded an awful lot of New Model Army. I say it this way because, as we all know, it’s hard for me to retain what sounds like what as I blast through tens of records at a clip but NMA impacted me at the time and this one, despite being maligned by some other sources, is a pounding, throbbing goth inspired rocker that I can’t quite pigeonhole. Maybe it’s a bit of Sisters of Mercy as well. 
I didn’t hear the first Nails record so I can’t compare but this one feels a lot like what the Ramones follow up to Too Tough to Die should have sounded like. It’s…wet, the record. Thick and pulsating in ways that I found myself really enjoying. Maybe a little too much Doors in the mix, though. 
“Things You Left Behind” is an obvious redux of their hit “88 Lines about 44 Women”. Hey, it worked once…




No comments: