Monday, December 30, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Edge of the World

The Mekons - Edge of the World



#261/1386
June 1986
The Mekons
Edge of the World
Genre: Rock
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Garage D’Or
Big Zombie


With a name like “Mekons” I always had expected this band to be some new wave, sci fi alien invasion thing and I could not have been more wrong. And I took some flack last year for not really liking their previous record more than just a pretty good alt-country offering.
Edge of the World is better. It’s more mature but also a bit more ramshackle. It’s heavily celtic (to me, at least, but what do I know?). It’s Pogues-ish but never too deeply drunkenly Irish. 
While I’m not really highlighting all that much there isn’t a clunker here. It’s all very competent and enjoyable. Once I’ve heard it, I don’t need any more. 
I wanna love the Mekons. Instead, I just shrug my shoulders and said, okie doke, that was a record. 



No comments: