Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Golden Earring - The Hole

Golden Earring - The Hole



#190/1355
May 1986
Golden Earring
The Hole
Genre: Rock
4.25 out of 5 (bite me)


Highlights:
Save the Best for Later



Does anyone wanna guess how long Golden Earring’s been around?
By the time of this record the band had been around for 25 years. Yes. You read that right. And their first album was put out in 1965. The Hole is their 18th record. I don’t know how you keep sounding fresh after 2 records, tbh. I haven’t been much of a fan during the past 5 or so but they’re pretty big in Holland, I guess. 


There’s something about “Save the Best for Later” that seems to anticipate 90s rock, representing a sport of weigh Station between glam and 90s Smashing Pumpkins style rock. 

Like them or not, Golden earring knows what’s working in the genre and have a sense on how to mine it. They have picked up bon Jovi‘s style on “Have a Heart” and the Tubes’ goofiness on “Jump and Run” and ELO’s methodical mid tempo rock on “Why Do I”. 
For a bunch of antediluvian rockers, I found this record weirdly charming. 






No comments: