Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Joan Armatrading - Sleight of Hand

Joan Armatrading - Sleight of Hand




#175/1340
May 12 1986
Joan Armatrading
Sleight of Hand
Genre: Rock
2.75 out of 5




I...
do not…
care for…..
Joan Armatrading. 

There. That felt good. 
I went back to look at the ratings for every single JA album I’ve listened to since the 1978 start of this project and she never rates higher than a 3.5. That was ONE record, To The Limit, in 1978. After that it’s a series of 2.5’s and 3’s. And yet, I know that I am supposed to consider her in the upper pantheon of popular music. I don’t. She’s boring. She’s talented, I guess, but her songs are dull, uninviting and calculated. This album is slow and plodding and I can’t imagine sitting in a studio, listening to it just prior to release and thinking…yeah…this…THIS is the shit the world has been waiting for, Joan!

Please tell me there’s no more Joan in my future. 
Oh, she’s back in 88? 
Great. 
Well, at least there’s a year off in between.


No comments: