Monday, December 30, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Richard Thompson - Daring Adventures

Richard Thompson - Daring Adventures


#255/1380
June 1986
Richard Thompson
Daring Adventures
Genre: Rock
4.5 out of 5



Highlights:
A Bone Through Her Nose
Valerie
Dead Man’s Handle
Cash Down, Never Never



Confession. I owned a copy of Henry the Human Fly and never listened to it. Not once. So, that’s about $13 I owe myself. 
Richard writes songs. I don’t think he’s trying to push any envelopes, just trying to write songs that amuse him and, hopefully, the audience finds as interesting as he does. 
When he does it well, I do, when he doesn’t, well, I guess there’s always more to come. 
Mitchell Froom is on this thing. 
And he and Richard occasionally play the Theremin. (“Cash Down, Never Never”)
I like that weirdo instrument. Unfortunately, a few of these tracks are from live cuts and that’s not really a good representation of the album, just the songs, but I’ll take it. 
I like this album. A lot of it sounds like other stuff by him but I don’t fault artists for that too often. Once you have an idiom it’s hard to break away. See: Mountain Goats. I think there might be a day when I need to go back and listen to everything in Richard’s catalog. He very rarely disappoints. 




 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svgo1NW1vaU&list=PLBJ7ztNazTVDtBYYCAoJUXD6RDKZP4FmU

No comments: