Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Emerson, Lake and Powell - Emerson, Lake and Powell

Emerson, Lake and Powell - Emerson, Lake and Powell



#183/1348
May 23 1986
Emerson Lake and Powell
Emerson Lake and Powell
Genre: Prog Rock
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
The Score 


Lowlights:
Step Aside

I wish I had heard this back to back with Jarre’s record. It seems to aspire to the same bombast but, unlike Rendez-vous, it achieves. Listen to that opener, “The Score” and tell me it isn’t demanding to be heard on a sequel album to Ladyhawke. 
It’s a concert opener of I’ve ever heard one. 
As for the rest? I really enjoyed it. Much more than I usually do Prog. 
It slogs for a while and tries to recover with the cover of Holst’s “Mars, the Bringer of War“ but that just ends up sounding like second rate Flash Gordon soundtracking. 




No comments: