Monday, December 30, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Rod Stewart - Every Beat of My Heart

Rod Stewart - Every Beat of My Heart



#243/1368
June 23 1986
Rod Stewart
Every Beat of My Heart
Genre: Rock
2.25 out of 5



Here’s what I will start this review by saying that, despite my never ending dislike of Rod, that first track, “Here to Eternity”, while being a mid-tempo lackluster piece of 80s pap, is also something that has been sorely listening from the music we are listening to: A story song. Like “Jack and Diane” or “Thunder Road”, Rod is writing about characters and telling their stories. At least on that track. And I appreciate that. 


The Device team of Holly Knight/Michael Chapman are back, fyi. They wrote the theme song for the movie Legal Eagles (which I saw in the theater and am not better for it) and Rod sings it. That’s it. That’s the review. Garbage music. 
AND! Not to be left out of the current trend…a gospel tinged funereal cover of “In My Life” that no one needs.


This album is aggressively mediocre. There’s little reason to be including Rod in this project moving forward. 




No comments: