Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Feelies - The Good Earth

The Feelies - The Good Earth




#189/1354
May 1986
The Feelies
The Good Earth
Genre: Jangle Rock
4 out of 5


Highlights:
On the Roof
The High Road
The Good Earth


I have a confession to make and it’s one that I find very hard to admit. After all, I am from New Jersey, I came of age in the “college radio” era and I consider myself well versed in that era’s music. Or at least, versed. 
I didn’t listen to Crazy Rhythms by The Feelies until around 2009. 
I know. I know.
Once I did, I listened to it about 100 times that year. It’s remarkable.
So remarkable and fresh and different that I never listened to another Feelies record, convinced was I that they wouldn’t be able to recreate that magic. 
I’m right. This isn’t nearly as magical. Instead, with Peter Buck at the helm, it’s a bit pedestrian in its approach and songwriting. 
But the sound and those songs, much as they sound like more accessible REM, are rich and warm and Holsapplely great. 
Instead of being “The Boy With Perpetual Nervousness Pt. 2”, “The Last Roundup” sounds like Violent Femmes. With much much less angst and extra…jug band? Too bad. And “Slipping Into Something” makes them sound like a one trick pony. Ugh!
This is a case of “I want more of what they did before but I also don’t want them to completely repeat themselves but if they veer too far I won’t like it!!!!”
This is The Feelies’ Reckoning to REM’s Murmur. But, unlike that record, there’s little need for this. It doesn’t add to the conversation. Not that it’s bad. Just redundant. 



No comments: