Saturday, December 7, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Run-D.M.C. - Raising Hell

Run-D.M.C. - Raising Hell



#176/1341
May 16 1986
Run-D.M.C.
Raising Hell
Genre: Rap
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Peter Piper
It’s Tricky
My Adidas
Walk this Way
Raising Hell
You Be Illin’ 


This is the stuff. 
In a year we will get the first Boogie Down Productions and Public Enemy records and I can’t wait for that. And, yes, I know, we aren’t going to go down a lot of the rap tributaries but it’s really hard for me to resist some of these cuz, this if this isn’t rock, what is? 
The simple beat box, the crunchy samples, the audacity of covering Aerosmith and changing the world of rap and rock at the same time. 
Brilliance. 
It’s always knocked me out that this record was produced by someone I went to college with. Rubin was 2 years ahead of me but I swear to sky daddy I met him once. 
And I had my chance. I worked with the brother of the guy who owned Tommy Boy records. But, I was arrogantly anti-rap at the time. It wasn’t “Rock”. 
This absolutely is.
I gave up on them after the first record. I never heard this. It’s of a time and yet timeless.


No comments: