Wednesday, August 10, 2022

The 1982 Listening Post - Jimmy Buffett - Somewhere Over China

Jimmy Buffett - Somewhere Over China 


January 19 1982

Jimmy Buffett 

Somewhere Over China

Genre: Singer Songwriter

2.75 out of 5





Requisite 80s cover: “Slow Boat to China”. I wanna be mad that Buffett is reaching back into the Loesser catalog for a lesser cover of a tune but, knowing that Henley would do the same thing with “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat a decade plus later…I can’t fault him. But…the song is best left to the ages, I think.



What is Jimmy Buffett doing here?

I guess the pop of “Margaritaville” was enough to earn him a spot. 

I never got the appeal of this guy. I mean, he’s a massive success story, right?

This simple singer songwriter stuff has its place but I don’t wanna spend an afternoon at a festival hosted by Jimmy. 

The album is called Somewhere Over China. But he’s standing ON AFRICA! He’s over the wrong fucking continent. 

And that annoying grimace. 

I think I hate Jimmy Buffett. 

Also, he’s barefoot. I hate feet. 

And I hate Jimmy Buffett. And I hate Jimmy Buffett’s feet. 

Oh my God I’m so bored. When he asks “Where’s the party?” Dude, it’s wherever you ain’t. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/somewhere-over-china/1443410106

No comments: