Tuesday, August 9, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Lounge Lizards - The Lounge Lizards

 The Lounge Lizards - The Lounge Lizards


#756

1981 Housekeeping

The Lounge Lizards

The Lounge Lizards

Genre: Super Cool Alternative New York Scene Jazz Rock

3.75 out of 5




Highlights:

I Remember Coney Island

Fatty Walks



We are done. I saved The Lounge Lizards for last because, well, I assumed it would be good. Also, I once had dinner with John Lurie. It was a big dinner. I was invited by a director friend of mine and, stupidly, I brought a date. Maybe not so stupidly because the date was pretty impressed. Stupidly because it wasn’t my money I was spending. 

I remember nothing about the dinner. Except that John sat across from me on the left. He came across kind of smug. He seemed above it all. The director was using Lounge Lizards music for his independent film, in which I was appearing. 

I’ve had a long and storied career, I guess. One that includes a forgettable dinner with John Lurie in 1989. 

Because he came across so smug I chose to not listen to the tape he gave me of his band. It was this album. I do not have that tape anymore. 

Here’s the other thing. It might have been Evan. And for years I thought Richard Edson was the other missing brother. 



Thing is, I don’t know what the Lounge Lizards were doing that was so cutting edge. Maybe adding some alt discordance to Henry Mancini? 

This is the height of pretentious. 


It’s also really pretty ok. Except for “Ballad” which is the worst kind of experimental headache inducing noise from that era. 


Look, I have no business reviewing this. I have no frame of reference. It’s not my jam. But I wanted to end the year on a story. 

So, you got one. 


This might have been the dinner where someone spit a piece of food on my fork (accidentally) just as I ate it. I was worried for 2 weeks that I would get sick. But, I didn’t. It was unforgettable, though.


That someone was William Daniels. Dr. Craig from St. Elsewhere. The voice of KITT. And the future president of the Screen Actors Guild.


I share so much with you guys. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-lounge-lizards/724170796

No comments: