Monday, August 8, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Plain Characters - Invisible Yearnings

 Plain Characters - Invisible Yearnings


#720

1981 Housekeeping

Plain Characters

Invisible Yearnings

Genre: Post-Rock

4 out of 5




Highlights:

Affair

Fingerprint City

Menial Tasks





If you took this record, repackaged it, and released it in 1993, Plain Characters would be immediately put on a bill with NiN. 

Remember; Pretty Hate Machine is an EIGHTIES record, being released in 1989. If you had that record in your collection and loved it, you should immediately add this one. 


On “Affair” I need to know: Is Colin Tucker screaming, “This boy’s in love!” Or “This poison love!”. Or is it both? It works as both. 

“O” calls to mind immediate comparisons with Peter Gabriel…if Peter fronted Marilyn Manson.


This thing runs the gamut of Post-Rock. It touches on Goth and Jazz and Rock and Spoken Word. It’s pretty intense and I can’t tell if I would have loved it during my Laurie Anderson phase or if I would have rejected it because I only had room for her in that part of my myopic heart. 


Lead Singer Colin Lloyd-Tucker has been making music for the past 40 years (some of it with The The) and I’m fairly sure that a dive into his catalog would result in a treasure trove of discoveries. 





https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WcLwTaO5GLfjuCUid_pFGrnA246S6oFe?usp=sharing

No comments: