Monday, August 8, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Ravenna and the Magnetics - Tennessee and Texas

 Ravenna and the Magnetics - Tennessee and Texas



#698

1981 Housekeeping LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

Ravenna and the Magnetics

Tennessee and Texas

Genre: Rockabilly

4.25 out of 5




Highlights:

Tennessee and Texas

Sure Fireshaker

I Never Lie

Feel So Good

6918 Peach Ave



I have no more words about this nostalgia sound. Either the songs are spectacular or they sound ancient. 

Remember Cherry Poppin’ Daddies? For no good reason this reminds me of them. Now, they are better than this. Perry and his bandmates wrote better songs, more dangerous tunes with lacerating playing.

But, in my mid-life days of Swing Dancing at The Derby if the DJ put any of these tunes on I would have cut that rug. In fact, I might have asked who this was and bought the album.

But that was during the East Coast Swing Revival days and much as I miss them they are bygone.

There weren’t a lot of these bands front by women so that’s a nice change of pace. 

Ravenna died in 97, obscure in the annals of American Rock History.

Nice that we can hear her and give her the props she deserved. She’s good here. Especially on “I Never Lie” a tune where Richard Hogan is channeling Jerry Lee Lewis, the sax is extraordinary and that Tom Berghan’s guitar is fire and Ravenna is bringing all the Elvis to the table.

For the genre, which is pure, this is excellent.




The album is on the second disc of this set. 

https://music.apple.com/us/album/rockabilly-fools-tenesse-texas/1518065569

No comments: