Wednesday, August 10, 2022

The 1982 Listening Post - John Hiatt - All Of a Sudden

 John Hiatt - All Of a Sudden



1982 Housekeeping

John Hiatt

All of a Sudden

Genre: New Wave/Rock

4 out of 5


Highlights:

I Look for Love

This Secret Life

Some Fun Now






The opener, “I Look for Love” is what you get when you take Elvis Costello and try to make him Peter Gabriel. The slathering of synths and gloss is too knowing of the era. It’s a good song, I bet, but Visconti and Hiatt are trying to get a hit in 1982 and that’s what happens when you do that.


I just looked at every LP review of Hiatt and I keep referencing Elvis. Truth is, these songs are all perfectly fine but lacking in urgency or hooks to make me want to return. “Some Fun Now”…that’s an Elvis song, yes?

And I wish that John had had more success so I wouldn’t make these comparisons but, they are impossible for me to avoid. 


In the end, this record is really good. Not sure it is a Hiatt fan’s go-to. But it’s good. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/all-of-a-sudden/1443745256





No comments: