Monday, August 8, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Look - The Look

 The Look - The Look



#702

1981 Housekeeping

The Look

The Look

Genre: Power Pop 

3.25 out of 5



Highlights:

I Am the Beat



Requisite 80s Cover: West Side Story’s “Tonight”. Which, when you add hard cockney to it doesn’t make it better. This is something that Me First and the Gimme Gimmes would get their hands on and I would’ve played the shit out of it in 2001. It’s not that great here but I appreciate the solid attempt. 


Power Pop with an organ! 

So…Squeeze meets The Vapors and the Jam and Joe Jackson. 

And then, after they put out one record they disappear until 2005. 

I’d dive deeper into that story but this album isn’t really worth it. 


Their 2012 album, Tunes and Stories, featured The Jags’ drummer, Alex Baird. So, there’s that. 


They almost get there with “Knock, Knock, Knock”.  “I Am the Beat” is a solid single but, following “Tonight” I have to wonder if all of this was an attempt at a rock musical that didn’t get backing. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-look/626332361

No comments: