Wednesday, August 10, 2022

The 1982 Listening Post - The Times - Pop Goes the Art

 The Times - Pop Goes the Art


January 1982

The Times

Pop Goes Art!

Genre: Mod

4 out of 5



Highlights:

If Love is the Answer




So odd. I loathe Television Personalities but I like The Times. It’s the same guys, just switching up roles. 

These are ditties. They aren’t meant to be anything but trifle. I mean, come on, “I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape”?!?!?  Have you ever seen The Prisoner? These guys have. “Who is Number 1?!?”

“You are Number 6.”

I loved the Prisoner. Although I thought the last episode was weak. 



This is just fun…and some of it sort of anticipates Britpop by about 20 years.


What it ends up sounding like is 2nd rate Kinks. And, look…If it approximates The Kinks and does a good job of that…it’s gotta be good. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/pop-goes-art/287507774

No comments: