Thursday, April 25, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Uli Jon Roth & Electric Sun - Beyond the Astral Skies

Uli Jon Roth & Electric Sun - Beyond the Astral Skies


#61
1985 Housekeeping
Uli Jon Roth & Electric Sun
Beyond the Astral Skies
Genre: Rock
4 out of 5

Highlights:
The Night the Master Comes
Icebreaker

I’m just gonna ask this: Why didn’t Meat Loaf turn to Uli John Roth when Jim Steinman wasn’t available? Sure, Desmond Child writes radio hits but this guy seems to be a perfect match for Meat’s soaring theatricality. This is the guitarist for Scorpions so a lot of the bombast is expected and so is the Spinal Tappiness but I love it for all of that. 
This reminds me of Steve Vai but with an emphasis on songs. The playing is remarkable but so is the mind bending weirdness.
I planned on a couple tracks before bedtime but I couldn’t go to sleep until I finished.
And I’m glad I didn’t cuz the opera meets prog rock “Eleison” was worth staying up for. No, it’s not “good”. But the fact that it exists, coming so soon after hearing a metal band invoke Carmina Burana, has me thinking about Randy Rhodes and his influence on guitarists of the era. 


No comments: