Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Rat at Rat R - Ameri$ide: Rock and Roll is Dead

Rat at Rat R - Ameri$ide: Rock and Roll is Dead


#29
1985 Housekeeping
Rat at Rat R
Ameri$ide: Rock and Roll is Dead (Long Live Rat at Rat R)
Genre: Noise Rock
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Assassin

This isn’t noise rock, much as it would like to classify itself as such. It’s actually more early stages screamo/emo/bordering on wannabe industrial. And I kind of love it. If Pearl Jam was more interested in, say, Swans, than being a jam band, it might sound like this. 
It bores into my brain in all the right ways. 
Upon reading I think I know why: It turns out this band has close ties to Glenn Branca. Now, I’d heard about Branca’s Guitarestra for years but had never actually heard it and, when I did, I was blown away. The Ascension is magical in it’s construction and execution. It was one of the first records I had never heard before but gave 5 stars to, and that’s a difficult feat. I didn’t know until I was the last few years old how much I love “noise rock” but I really do when it’s done well and I love Branca and this. 


No comments: