Monday, April 1, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Let's Active - Cypress

Let's Active - Cypress

#350
1984 Housekeeping
Let's Active
Cypress
3 out of 5

You know, I really should've known more about Let's Active before this.
I love R.E.M. and he produced their breakthrough stuff.
I worked with Frank Bednash and he and his wife's band, Cowboy & Spin Girl had their first single produced by Mitch and it was, I recall, excellent.
So, how is it I've never heard Let's Active, his actual band?

It's...psychedelic The Byrds, no?
Which is sort of what REM was, too.
In fact, this sounds a bit like REM in a lot of places...all the places except...the songs, actually.
It's cute, yes, but it's not better than, say, The Long Ryders. In fact, I would say that it's very weak in comparison to other Jangle Pop of the era.
And then it hits me. Right around "Co-Star". This sounds like some of the midwest bands on the Red Snerts compilation in the early 80s.
Which is to say, meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUJzDNHYic

No comments: