Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Linda Thompson - One Clear Moment

Linda Thompson - One Clear Moment


#21
January 1985
Linda Thompson
One Clear Moment
Genre: Rock
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Can’t Stop the Girl
Take Me On the Subway


There are two albums that anyone who wants to be taken seriously as a music aficionado must hear: I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight and Shoot Out the Lights by Richard and Linda Thompson. Marvelous.
By himself, while I appreciate his appreciation for great pop songs (Richard’s version of “Oops I Did it Again” is excellent, I find his solo stuff leaves me cold. 
So, I wasn’t expecting much from Linda’s solo outing…sum of the parts and all. 
Surprise. 
This reminds me a lot of Christine McVie’s album from last year. Or Kirsty MaColl. Assured. Smart. A 70s chanteuse unafraid to update her sound for a new era and an experimental artist willing to push boundaries (“Take Me On the Subway”). The album gets a bit treacly toward the end and starts to sound like she’s auditioning to be a songwriter for others. But, for the most part it’s a perfectly pleasant outing. 


No comments: