Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Sound - Heads and Hearts

The Sound - Heads and Hearts


#52
February 1985
The Sound
Heads and Hearts
Genre: Post-Punk
4.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Whirlpool
Total Recall
Restless Time
World As it Is


I adored 1981’s From the Lion’s Mouth (I barely remember it now…1000+ albums later but it got a 4.5 from me. It’s great), so I was really looking forward to this from these guys. All the 80s synth-y bands are in here. A little bit Chameleons, some Echo, some U2, I even think there’s the anthem of The Alarm. 
I really think I should listen to this again. Everytime I’d really get into it, someone would call me to do something, bath, dog, chores…and every time I’d come back to whatever song I was listening to and think, “I really like this one. Maybe it should be a highlight.”
I’m just gonna keep it in the library and add it to the “Return to” playlist. And I bet Radiohead has heard this…just listen to “World As it Is” and try to not hear tracks on In Rainbows. Almost a flat out steal of “Jigsaw Falling Into Place”.
But don’t be fooled by labels. Apple Music lists this as “punk”. It’s not. And Wikipedia and Allmusic list it as “Post-Punk”. It’s not. It’s…kind of New Wave meets prog rock. 
But it’s forward thinking, hence my label. 



No comments: