Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - American Music Club - The Restless Stranger

American Music Club - The Restless Stranger


#22
January 1985
American Music Club
The Restless Stranger
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Room Above the Club
Points of Desire


Apparently the band hates this album. Why? I’m not sure. It’s perfectly acceptable slo-core Americana. It’s a bit on the depressive side, like if Joy Division was a roots rock band. This is the sludgy sound of grunge in its infancy. 
I think I enjoyed this more than the band does. There’s some Nick Cave in here but with more melody, Also, a touch of Leonard Cohen and Psychedelic Furs. There are some real clunkers here like “When Your Love is Gone”, but as a first effort I give it some props. 
I look forward to more from these guys. 


No comments: