Thursday, April 25, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Live Skull - Bringing Home the Bait

Live Skull - Bringing Home the Bait


#62
1985 Housekeeping
Live Skull
Bringing Home the Bait
Genre: Post-Punk
3.25 out of 5


I once went through a Sonic Youth phase. It was around 2005. I remember this vividly because I wondered if it was possible to listen to Sonic Youth and do something else at the exact same time. I chose to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince while listening to Daydream Nation and Goo. 
I had no issue whatsoever paying attention to the book. 
I don’t know who Live Skull is but I bet they influenced  or were influenced by Sonic Youth because a lot of it sounds the same. This is not an indictment or criticism of either but, I do have some books on my shelf that are begging to be read….
I eschewed this whole scene while it was, apparently, happening around me at NYU. It’s only later that I am beginning to appreciate the Live Skull/Sonic Youth/Glenn Branca/Swans sound of the lower east side. 
You are forgiven if, when listening to “Wisdom & Gravy” you think you’ve accidentally started listening to Evol. These two bands are interchangeable. 


No comments: