Friday, April 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - John Fogerty - Centerfield

John Fogerty - Centerfield


#8
January 15 1985
John Fogerty 
Centerfield
Genre: Roots Rock/Swamp Rock
4.5 out of 5

Highlights:
The Old Man Down the Road
Rock and Roll Girls
Centerfield

This is THE boomer record. Waxing nostalgic for things like the heyday of His tv watching days, perhaps some middle aged Gen Yer will write a paean to YouTube as loving as John. 
It’s a lovely album. Accomplished. Catchy. 
But definitely written by someone who’s look at his relevance through the rear view. 
“Rock n Roll Girls” bites a little on the Cars’ “Good Times Roll” bit hard but that’s a quibble.
Good on Fogerty. He plays all the instruments and the never sound less than a tight unit. 
As an inveterate baseball fan I will admit that “Centerfield” brings me joy every time it’s set to some major league montage. And every crack of that bat in the 3rd verse is manna for me. In fact, I just watched a ball game before I heard this song and, after it, I’m ready for another one. 


No comments: