Thursday, April 25, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - Fegmania!

Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - Fegmania!


#69
March 1 1985
Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
Femgania!
Genre: Rock
4.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Egyptian Cream
My Wife and My Dead Wife
Strawberry Mind
Heaven


Does Robyn Hitchcock just need a band? This seems like a recurring theme. I haven’t enjoyed anything out of this guys since the Soft Boys’ Underwater Moonlight but this one is all loopy pop rock and goodness. In fact, unless I’m crazy, I can hear the future sounds of Jellyfish in here. Like this is where the true resurrection of Power Pop may have been. Like a Pop REM or a next stage Big Star. Yeah, this has Big Star written all over it. No? I haven’t had as much fun listening to Robin as I did on “My Wife and My Dead Wife” and “Strawberry Mind”, which reminds me of the funniest Ray Davies moments. 
I dig it. 


No comments: