Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post -Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair


Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair


#47
February 25 1985
Tears for Fears
Songs from the Big Chair
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Shout
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Mother’s Talk
Head Over Heels

Did Roland Orzabal get therapy? I mean, duh, but, to go from the anguish of The Hurting to the catharsis of Big Chair is really something to behold. 
Dennis Miller’s use of “Everybody wants to Rule the World” for his 90s talk show almost ruined that song for me, even now I can’t divorce the two. Shame, really. 
I’d only heard “Head Over Heels” as a single but to hear it in context of the album, bleeding in from “Broken”, it’s really a piece of mastery.
Big Chair is a much more hopeful record than The Hurting. It’s less a collection of songs than it is an experience.
I’m glad I finally heard it. 


No comments: