Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Beat Farmers - Tales of the New West

The Beat Farmers - Tales of the New West


#37
February 1 1985
The Beat Farmers
Tales of the New West
Genre: Roots Rock
4.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Bigger Stones
There She Goes Again
Reason to Believe
Lost Weekend
California Kid
Lonesome Hound
Happy Boy


I bet Gin Blossoms listened to this album a LOT. I know I did. It was a big college album among my peers. That’s where I heard it for the first time. There’s soooo much to love on this album, from that first cowpunk Bigger Stones”, right into the roots rock cover of “There She Goes Again”, which actually proves what a great song it is, reinvents it and makes it fresh. The scorching redux of Springsteen’s “Reason to Believe” is actually better than the original and should always be played in its stead. 
Side One is a masterpiece of 80s roots tock revival. The Beat Farmers give The Long Ryders a run for their money with it. 
And Side Two is almost as good. In fact, full disclosure: I loved the first side of this album so much that I almost never listened to side two. I think I’ve heard it once before today. 
Everything I don’t like about Los Lobos, Chris Isaak and latter day Blasters is what is done right here. 


No comments: