Thursday, February 24, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Wild Giraffes - Right Now

The Wild Giraffes - Right Now 



#371

1981 Housekeeping

The Wild Giraffes

Right Now

Genre: Power Pop

4 out of 5


Highlights:

Right Now

She Do Rock

I Don’t Know About You



Requisite 80s covers:

The Easybeats’ “Good Times”. The Easybeats. Man, they really were terrific, huh? Great cover. 

A rollicking rendition of “Burning Love” which I imagine was a party concert staple. 



As I listened to this and tried to think of good similes I went to the source, Willfully Obscure, and lo and behold, Spavid put it best (He’s so much better at this than I am):

“Hovering somewhere between a more advanced Flamin' Groovies and Cheap Trick, Wild Giraffe's rootsy undercurrents rubbed elbows with faint, post-punk chord wrangling a la Roger Miller of Mission of Burma.  If the Figgs had started their career, say a decade early, they would probably have approximated a solid cross section of this album's content”


And, any time The Figgs are name checked I want to include that so I can reach out to Bobby Bognar and ask him what his thoughts are cuz I think The Wild Giraffes would have fit well on any International Pop Overthrow or Wheat From Chaff bill.


If The Wild Giraffes were around in 1968 they’d have had a hit or two. I think they were too retro for the New Wave movement but if I had this record in 1981 I wouldn’t have been sad. 


I don’t love Flamin’ Groovies but I hear the comparison and I think I agree with it. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TFzkPFkdL8

No comments: