Thursday, February 24, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Real Eyes - Real Eyes

 Real Eyes - Real Eyes


#366

1981 Housekeeping

Real Eyes

Real Eyes

Genre: Psychedelic Poetrock

3.75 out of 5




I love finds like this. Kudos to the research team at The Listening Post corporate headwuarters.

There’s NO information on this band but in the comments of it’s Discogs entry there’s this:

zillustration January 9, 2016


I'm the illustrator of both the album and book. It was my first job, while still in high school. I have 16 copies of the album still in the plastic, as well as 7 of the accompanying book. contact me if interested.”


I am so tempted to reach out.


While this is decidedly 70s rock, like, unabashedly so, I don’t hate it. Yes, it’s high school poetry but I wrote some of my best bad lyrics in Social Studies class. 

I mean, that was the era that gave us such garbage as Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar and, well, Sprit, ;). 

And this is what it would sound like if you grew up in a house where that was all that was played but you believed in the ideology of love and kindness and harmony and wrote an album based on all of that in 1981 having almost no experience with the real world of that time. 

There’s a bit of everything 60s here, even the Dead in “Lucifer’s Sons” but that’s a head fake cuz it explodes into some razor sharp attempt at metal and, you know what? They nearly pull it off.


This is DIY but full of love for music at it’s heart. And in grande Prog Rock tradition it’s sort of all over the place but, where Pink Floyd (which they seem to have listened to a LOT of) has one speed: mid-tempo, these guys are anticipating…math rock. 


A little FB search pops up a couple of the musicians. The singer, Marty Rumfield, has been a guitar builder/technician for years, it seems. This is a link to Greg Bullock, who wrote the lyrics. 


The internet is a wondrous place. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_M4U69-HIs

No comments: